Old October 31st 03, 08:30 PM
Stephen H. Westin

"Ron Natalie" writes:

"Jim Weir" wrote in message ...
How about pointing us to a NASCAR type fuel cell information page?

A NASCAR fuel cell is just a rubber bladder filed with a special
foam. I'm not sure what it buys you here. It's primary job in a
race car is to keep the fuel from running out at high speed if the
tank is punctured or cracked

No, the primary purpose is to prevent in-tank explosions. The foam is
very porous to allow proper fuel flow, but it's enough to slow down a
flame front within the air/vapor mix. NASCAR was certainly not the
first to use the technology; I think it was developed for military
aircraft, especially helicopters.

Leak protection is provided by the flexible, fiber-reinforced
envelope.

(of course, it still looks pretty flamboyant if someone rips the
tank in half, the rules call for the fuel cell to have it's own
little "roll cage" to protect it).

You can get the foam from just about any race car supply house in
the country. It's pretty stock for a lot of different racing
constructions. Just google for "fuel cell foam".

--
-Stephen H. Westin