Old April 23rd 05, 07:34 AM
Mike Kanze

The only question is: will it be as effective jammer as Prowler is?

Not really the only question.

When the Prowler came into service in the early 1970s, the question in some
misinformed quarters was:

"How much gas can it give?"

This was actually a very serious question coming from folks accustomed to
operations with the Electric Whale (EKA-3B). With tanking assets at a
premium, I am sure this question will resurface with the Growler if it
hasn't already.

--
Mike Kanze

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."

- Claude Swanson (Secretary of the Navy, second Roosevelt administration)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I understand your enthusiasm about EA-18G ;-) - it could be called an
"F/A-18F Plus" rather than "EA-6B replacement".

First version of the story was that EA-18G was incapable of carrying
AIM-9X (having wingtips EW pods permanently attached), but now appears
it can do anything F/A-18F can do, plus missions requiring dedicated
electronic warfare equipment not available in F version.

That would be a plane for every day of the war - from the start, when
jamming, recce, SEAD/time-critical strike missions are especially
important, until the later phase, when it could support F/A-18E/F on
tanker, strike, or fighter duties. It could also act as a Forward Air
Controller (Airborne) or UAV control platform.

The only question is: will it be as effective jammer as Prowler is?

Best regards,

Jacek