Old November 14th 04, 09:02 PM
John_F

A visual inspection of the alternator showed that the windings on the
rotor were black and shedding burned insulation. An ohmmeter showed
less than one ohm field resistance. The stator windings looked good
and tested good as did the diodes.
John

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:28:00 GMT, Economic Girly Man
wrote:

John_F wrote:
Cold weather, a hard to start engine and a old tired 60 amp alternator
breaker that was later found to trip at 35 amps cost me a new voltage
regulator, a new alternator, a new breaker, and a new over voltage
lamp when the breaker popped one cold night just after take off. The
OV light did not last long when fed 90 volts and was like a red flash
bulb. (What was that flash??) By the time I went around the pattern
to land the regulator and alternator field was also fried. On a

My deepest sympathies.

How did you determine that you *fried* the alternator field? How exactly did it
fail (open, shorted ???) Any failures on the stator side (diodes ???)

EGM