Old October 29th 03, 03:59 AM
Michael Williamson

Pat Norton wrote:
Michael Williamson wrote:

US military airports now give Terminal Area Forecast
visibility in metres. All without a fuss.

In some cases they might, but the last time I got ATIS
here at Davis Monthan AFB, visibility was in nautical miles

You may be thinking of the METAR rather than TAF. In any case, METARS
use statute miles not nautical miles.

I have just been given the following TAF for Davis Monthan AFB
(visibility in meters):
KDMA 280505 14006KT 9999 BKN290 QNH2990INS WND VRB06KT AFT 17 T29/23Z
T13/13Z

Can you check again?

I do believe that you are correct on the statute miles vs. nautical
miles. As for checking, the evil schedulers cancelled my flight for
today, so I didn't see the weather briefing sheet. We don't use
either TAFs or METARs directly- we request a 175-1 (weather briefing
form) or verbal briefing from the weather shop and always receive
visibility in miles. ATIS also always gives prevailing visibility
in miles. I've never heard it (in the US) given in meters on the
ATIS (recorded weather and airfield information transmitted at
most airfields).

Mike