Old June 20th 04, 07:25 AM
Eunometic

"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message
What was the weapon that the Pentagon authors think that Taiwan

either has now
or could develop that would breach the Three Gorges Dam?

http://militarynewswatch.blogspot.co...rpedo-dam.html

-HJC

I would pack a B747 or other wide bodied jet with a massive shaped
charge in the nose and then use precision guidance technology to
deliver it.

Alternatively a 40 ton double Grand Slam sized bomb with perhaps small
wings and a certainly a booster to extend speed and range slung from
beneath a wide bodied jet could do it.

A 20 ton hard casing bomb with an addition 20 ton propellant section
should achieve 0.66 exhaust velocity: about Mach 4. With proper
guidance it could be placed within a few meters, perhaps penetrating
the water behind the dam wall just as the WW2 bouncing bomb did.

Because of the hard casing only a direct hit with a penetrate 'hit to
could kill' SAM would stop this device because the weapon would in
effect be armored. Careful designee of the control surfaces, perhaps
the used of jet deflection with solid external fins would minimize
even the danger to control surfaces of a near miss.

The use of saturation attacks and decoys and perhaps a design with a
lithe extra speed should take care of the defenses.

I'm not saying this is a sensible approach but surely such a weapon
could be built?