Old February 12th 18, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Worried about a leading edge crack in the fiberglass winglaminate of my PW-5

What would be wrong with, say, doubling the wheel base length? Wouldn't that at least mitigate the risk of a spill in situations where one can't turn the trailer into the wind?

Sorry to hear the story. Sounds like a knowledgeable person needs to check the structure.

A bigger rigger wheel base might get in the way when you try to get the wing near the glider to slide it into the trailer and remember, you are trying to keep something that likes to fly from flying in a gust. My guess is there is no practical way to make it big enough to fix the problem.

If the wind conditions are sporty, the tricks I've used are some combination of keeping the wind horizontal as long as possible, turning the trailer into the wind, finding a sheltered location, making a sheltered location with a big vehicle, getting some friends to help, and waiting for a lull in the wind.

I guess this is a part of gliding. To expect one person with any normal rigger to always work without precautions is optimistic. Just like in sailing, the wind is going to get respect one way or the other.

Good luck on the repair.