View Single Post
Old February 12th 18, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Worried about a leading edge crack in the fiberglass winglaminate of my PW-5

I've been solo rigging since 1982 almost every time I fly (originally my LS-3 but for the last 26 years, my ASW 24). I haven't built any WingMates in a while (maybe in the future) but one of the selling points was the ability to use it on any terrain, including plowed fields. It's actually more stable, easier on my body, and doesn't take much, if any, more time than if I'm using a crew.

But...I'm VERY careful in the wind. I use some of the same tricks mentioned plus one or two that are specific to my design (e.g., lowering the wing as far as possible until it's horizontal). But basically if the wind gets too strong and/or gusty, I ask someone to help. They don't have to lift anything! Big point. All they have to do is stand by the wingtip in case the wind tries to blow it over when the wing goes vertical. I've never damaged it in wind but I've had a couple of close calls.

If you have doubts about how much wind is too much, get someone to help. After 35 years of solo rigging, I'm actually more inclined to ask for that quick assist to "just stand there and push back on the wingtip if it starts to topple over" than I used to be.

Chip Bearden