Old August 11th 03, 05:48 PM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Dave Pearson wrote:
* Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo :

Well, this is a bit nostalgic but a couple of emails flew in about my
mention of the real thing av mags for the sims. Why not? Remember our
friend Dorfmann in the flick "The Flight of the Phoenix" in re "But then
the principles are the same... ."

Now there's an aircraft that someone should model for FS, complete with
people hanging on the wings, not to mention a monkey in a bag!

Good one, Dave! As for 'Choo-Choo', well, let me say that it was like
our friend with the portable radio and this Arabic station comes in and
suddenly we hear that ...[interrupted!]

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Dave: "HEY....DON! What are doing, man?"

Don: "I'm shaving! I'm trying to maintain some semblance of civilization!"

[Reader Note: Ya' gotta' know the flick! But then, our friend Dorfmann
'was' right...the principles 'are' the same!

;-)

And so they are! What, it's 'unusual'
for the sim community folks to be reading 'Flying', 'Plane and Pilot',
'Private Pilot' etc. ? I subscribe to all 3 and have done so for many
moons.

While I don't subscribe to any aviation mags I'll often buy one or more GA
mags if they seem to have interesting articles that relate somewhat to
things I can do with FS.

Hey, and some judicious looking around, $9.95 for 12 issues of Plane and
Pilot and $12 [12 issues] for 'Flying'.... not bad! And the more the sim
community gets into today's avionics [with real thing folks most happy
for the free publicity...do you thuink MSFS used the word 'Garmin' in
their FS2004 sans official nod from those folks?], the more the learning
process can be directly applicable. Among other areas as we begin to
move from static do-nothing knobs and switches to those that function
based on the real counter-parts....with noted exceptions of course and
byte space considerations. But then too, the sim community isn't exactly
a slouch on producing quality avionics that in fact mimic the real deal
electronically! It's getting better as time goes on....WITH the very
valuable sim community input. Falcon 4 suddenly comes to mind...as when
it was wholly abandoned and it was the sim community that picked up the
slack forthwith! THEN the commercial folks wake up to community
interest...and community successes and suddenly there is talk of Falcon
V....whenever that is to materialize.

Doc Tony