Old January 3rd 04, 05:08 PM
Jeff

Chris

You are correct sir that the Velocity XL (the model you recommended) can
cruise faster than 95 knots and I agree the Velocity is a neat airplane, but
it is not the best plane for John's mission needs. But if you really want
to go do the list.......

Hello all,

I'm looking for an airplane to purchase or build, but I can't find one that
meets all of my needs/wants (yes, I know, all airplanes are a bucket of
compromises). So, I'm asking all of you out there for advice on any
airplanes that would fit this profile.

Important to Haves:

- could be kept outdoors (eliminates fabric?)

======= could be done I guess, but you do not see many NICE glass airplanes
sitting outside for long periods of time. At least they do not stay nice
for long if you leave them outside.

- can carry 2 people

======= no problem as I said before

- could be eligible for sport pilot flight (1232lbs gross)

======= according to Velocity, empty weight is atleast 1300 pounds, maximum
level speed is way to fast, and stall speed is also way to fast.

- could cruise at 95+ kts

======= as you said this is an easy one

- could do limited/basic aerobatics

======= not within the mission capabilities of a Velocity

- has at least reasonable short/soft field performance (say 1500-2000'
grass)

======= not within the mission capabilities of a Velocity

- is relatively cheap to fly (engine 115hp or so, decent TBO, 5-6gph
cruise)

======= With recommended engine capacity of 260 to 300 HP
(http://www.velocityaircraft.com/airmodel.html) fuel consumption would be
probably 12-15 GPH, not what I would call cheap to fly.

- it's not a one-off design that has no parts support or can't be insured

======= I guess the Velocity would also meet this requirement

- if I have to build it, it needs to be "easy" (I've never built something,
a quoted time of ~400hrs maybe?)

======= Even if you believe what the manufacturer claims, minimum time to
build would be 3 time more than this for a standard build kit. If you opted
to spend an additional $18,500 you could have the fast build kit done in
double this time.

Nice to Haves:

- side-by-side seating

======= Velocity does this

- tricycle gear (mostly for insurance)

======= Velocity does this

- could be used to teach my Dad to fly (in terms of flying/landing
qualities..I'm thinking sport-pilot-esqe, so I don't know about the
regulations/legalities yet)

======= Velocity could do this

- I'm partial to high-wing, just because of the view down, rather than the
view up.

======= Velocity does not do this

- Is a type-certificated airplane (I am seriously considering a homebuilt,
but would prefer something that I could be flying sooner rather than later)

======= No and Yes

- could have gyros/ifr certified? This is very low priority, but if it
could not be grounded by "benign" ifr, that would be a bonus

======= Velocity does this

From my research, I can't find an airplane that meets all these ideals.
Something like a Citabria might be close, but the fabric wings/wood spar
rule it out (hangars are 5x more expensive than tiedown at my airport, and
you can't get one anyway even if you wanted). Something like a Zenith
Experimental is close, but I don't
think you can do aerobatics in a 601, and the 701 is much more STOL (and
slower cruise) than I want. Also, the sport-pilot criteria are greatly
limiting, so that would probably be the first to go, although I do have a
few friends that are interested in the sport pilot license and might be
potential partners if it can fit.

I'm a 24 year old professional engineer, with about 190hrs total time, with
a private SEL w/ instrument rating. I don't have tons of money by any
means, but I think right now I could afford maybe $20,000-$30,000 worth of
airplane, as long as the operating costs are reasonably low (in airplane
terms ;-) I just want something that I can fly around on nice days, take
friends along sometimes, could learn to do limited aerobatics (yes, I would
definitely take lots of lessons), and could take on trips of up to 80nm to
visit family around the area.

======= a Velocity for $20,000-30,000 - right. $37,500 gets you a standard
airplane kit. If you could build one for less than $50,000 I would be
impressed. Even on the Velocity web site they claim $55,000 to build a SE,
and that is for a used 180-220 HP engine, not a 260-300 HP as recommended
for the XL. Not to mention the basic kit price for the XL is $10,000 more
than the SE. I would guess a basic XL could be built for about
$65,000-70,000, more than double what he says he can afford. Could find a
partner I guess. Aerobatics - not in a Velocity. Occasionally take
friends - would be way better off to own a 2 seater and ocasionally rent a 4
seater. 80 NM trip in a Velocity is a little overkill wouldn't you say. If
he said 800 NM then the Velocity may be a better choice.

Thanks everybody, and I welcome any suggestions of airplanes as well as
suggestions of ways to change my criteria above from those who've been
through my experience before.

John Bumgarner

"Chris" wrote in message
news

"Jeff LeTempt" wrote in message
I think the Velocity only meets one of John's criteria....it can carry 2
people. Everything else is a bust.

Ok, let's go down the list....

Important to Haves :

- could be kept outdoors
- can carry 2 people
- could cruise at 95+ kts
my documentation gives it a 200 kt cruise with a Lycoming IO 540

- has at least reasonable short/soft field performance (say 1500=2000'
grass)
- is relatively cheap to fly
- if I have to build it, it needs to be "easy"
if you're "lazy" or at a lower skill level, you can get most or all
subassemblies
pre-assembled. Can't get much easier than that.

----------------

Nice to Haves :

- side-by-side seating
- could be used to teach my Dad to fly

And this, just from cursory knowledge of the model. I could probably go
even further, but it's 10am on a saturday, and I'd rather get back to

sleep.

;-)

Of course, there are many other planes, homebuilt and not, that would fit
alot of his criteria. Velocity just looks to me to be an interesting

plane.
Someday I may own one,
but not today.