Old August 30th 04, 05:23 PM
Kirk Stant

(Mark James Boyd) wrote in message news:412fa9ba$1@darkstar...
Kirk Stant wrote:

1) If they ain't locked for takeoff, a gnarly pio

1. Use a checklist. Oh, and why is the tow pilot fanning his rudder
at me?

LOL! "use a checklist."
Kind of covers everything, huh?

"Oh yeah? He had an accident? I bet he
didn't use the checklist!"

So Mark, you don't use any checklist before taking off? Yeah right,
bull****. What is it, not macho enough for you?

I use CBSIFTCBE (instead of the useless SSA ABCCCDDEEEEFGHHHwhatever)
RELIGIOUSLY before every takeoff. It's as sacred as the old GUMP
checklist. No paper required, only need one brain cell awake to run
it. And even with that, I've managed to get airborne twice with my
spoilers unlocked - in an LS4 and my current LS6. Both due to
interrupted/rushed launches. No big deal, the tow didn't even notice
(because LS brakes don't suck open, they just stay cracked) the
decreased climb rate. I caught them both below 100', closed the
boards, swore a bunch, then went on to convincingly blow the task of
the day.

Seriously, if your students aren't going through a "last chance" check
before commiting to takeoff, they have really bad instructors, to say
the least. And that is "using a checklist". And it will usually
prevent brainfade idiotic accidents from happening. Usually.

Kirk