Old March 11th 18, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default $75,000 2-33

The argument regarding flying a ratty 2-33 or flying a new glass ship is a fallacious one, it depends who you want to attract. If your after moneyed folks then yes the bells n whistles of a glass ship is whats needed. But if your after the younger less wealthy populus than its an issue of finances not finish.

When I was a teenager Soaring in the club context was affordable, it is not today. Neither is GA. In fact soaring is about equal to powered flight cost wise. I could mow lawns during the week and be able to fly a 2-22 multiple times on the weekend on what I made pushing that lawn mower. There isn't a single glass based club running today that can make that happen. Kick away at the schweizers all you want, the 2-33 then transition to 1-26 is still the only affordable way to get into soaring for the average teen or working adult. When that dissapears, then say goodbye to any chance of growth within soaring except for the wealthy.