Old September 7th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Default Ka8b winch launching

On Sep 7, 4:53*pm, Jimmie L. Coulthard
wrote:
I am new to using this site. Can anyone tell me about winch launching a
Ka8b and what one needs to expect. Thanks

Jimmie,

I have a few (50 - 60?) winch launches in a Ka8. I think it was a "b"
model. Couldn't be easier! And I was a "low time" pilot with
probably less than 100 hours when I took my first winch launch. With
a competent winch operator, this wonderful glider gives a great winch
launch. Just listen to the instructors. What glider will you prepare
with for the winch launch? K7? K13? Other? I trained on a K7. The
K8 is a sweet handling glider, in my opinion. and gives a great
launch. Do what the instructors tell you to do and it should be fine.

What to expect? Big grins! Our winch could routinely get me to
around 600 meters above ground level and one memorable flight I got to
700 meters agl.

Ray Lovinggood