Old December 21st 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Great Article flying the winter wave in Canada -thealternative place to do 1000km in Decemb

Canada's major impediment to long range wave flights is Class B airspace 12,500 to 18,000. There's limited elbow room between the airways, terminal areas and terminal routes. For Class B you need a clearance plus Mode C and altimeter calibrated in the last 24 months.

My rear gets twitchy at 12,500 considering some peaks exceed 11,500.

Over Cowley we can open a wave window, but the Class A playpen has finite dimensions and we have to remain clear of Class B V300 and a terminal route unless ATC lets us in.