Old December 3rd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

Default Air Plane or Parked Plane

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

How many hours did you fly last year?

Pretty difficult to fly hours. You can fly an airplane, a ballon, a kite
etc. but you can't fly an hour.

How many hours did you spend flying last year would be the literate way to
ask the question.

Bzzzzzt. Sorry, not so.

I spent hundreds of hours flying last year. A few of them in my aircraft, a
lot of them in the torch.

However, the first question is grammatically correct. Asking how many hours
**I** flew last year implies that **I** flew them, not that I was flown.

Jim

Ambiguous, at best:

If I ask, "How many kites did you fly?", does that imply that you flew
as well?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia