Old April 1st 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default (USA) NTSB issues recommendations to the FAA and the SSA regarding transponder use in gliders

If you want to hurt the sport of soaring, wait till we have a mid-air with
an airliner and 150 people are killed.

Mike Schumann

wrote in message
On Mar 31, 8:10 pm, "BT" wrote:
If you read the NPRM for ADS-B, you'll remember that you cannot even get
above 10K MSL without ADS-B regardless of the aircraft, glider, balloon,
lawn chair... makes no matter.

So Transponders now, and ADS-B later.

BT

"Greg Arnold" wrote in message

I see they want to require transponders in all gliders, with the
transponders always on.

Assuming transponders become mandatory in gliders, what concerns me
most is that we may find that folks may not be willing to install
transponders in their ships. This might be especially true in older
gliders that may have a value of anywhere from $5K to perhaps $ 15 or
20K. I can see folks selling their gliders (perhaps to overseas
buyers) and giving up on the sport. We are having enough trouble
growing the sport and I'm afraid this could really hurt soaring in the
US.

Some clubs, operating on the edge, might fold as they may have to
install transponders in every 1-26 and 2-33. They may be unwilling to
comply, and as a result, disband. I am a realist and I do understand
the concerns of the NTSB, but this potential new requirement, though
not unexpected, could really have an adverse effect on soaring
operations in the US.........