Old December 22nd 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.ifr

Default FAA to enforce aircraft registration regulations

xyzzy wrote:
The radar
can not tell the make model and color of the aircraft.

Are you sure of that? When I look up planes in the FAA registration
database, one of the pieces of data included is a "Mode S Code". I'm
not sure what that is but I always thought it was unique and can be
queried from a transponder. they may not have that capability now, but
if they start user fees they may upgrade, or even worse require us to.

The mode-S code is transmitted only if you have a mode-S (not Modess)
transponder. If you don't know, you probably don't have one.