Old December 18th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
boB[_2_]

Default Super Skycycle

Steve R wrote:

On a pusher style gyro, the engine thrust line should (ideally) be as close
to the vertical CG of the aircraft as possible. Many designs that have been
put out in past years had an engine thrust line that was some distance above
the vertical CG. That would induce a forward pitching moment. This force
was countered by the rearward inclination of the main rotor and as long as
you kept the main rotor loaded, everything balanced out and was fine. If
the pilot ever unloaded the rotor while under power, the forces involved
would not balance out and the aircraft was pitch forward (a bunt over, aka
"power push over")

That sounds similar to my MX Sprint II back when I was instructing (see
note) out of Charping field near Temple Texas. The thrust was quite a
bit higher than the vertical CG. Cutting the throttle caused the nose
to pitch up but it was just something a person had to be aware of.

If you haven't seen it before, check out
http://www.rotaryforum.com/index.php. It's a discussion forum on
experimental rotorcraft and has lot's of good information on gyroplanes.
About the only down side to this one is that many of these guys have "very"
strong personalities and can be "very" opinionated. This means that
sometimes you have to wade through a lot of egos to get to the meaningful
information but if you're serious about getting into gyroplanes, it's well
worth the effort.

Good luck & Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Thanks again Steve. I did visit the rotary forum once. I think I'll try
again but you all are pretty knowledgeable here.

--

boB
copter.six