Old September 16th 04, 01:34 AM
Eunometic

(Peter Stickney) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Presidente Alcazar writes:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:17:41 -0400,
(Peter
Stickney) wrote:

Before the 2 stage Merlin appeared, The folks planning Brit War
Production were getting ready to close down Merlin production in favor
of its intended followons - the Sabre and the Vulture. (The Griffon
was another Rolls private venture) It's a good thig that didn't
happen.

Whatever do you mean? Surely the war would have ended a lot sooner
with fleets of Sabre-engined Lancasters darkening the skies and the
emergency runways at Manston and Woodbridge after multiple engine
failures?

Just so - there's no doubt at all that the war would have ended
earlier. But then, we'd probably all have umlauts on our keyboards.
I find it amazing, in some ways, that Sabre development was so
persistant. After the blinding success of the Napier Dagger (Same
configuration only smaller) engined Hereford (Hampden with Rapiers)
Medium Bomber Motorglider.

There were Vulture based versions of the Hawker Typhoon/Tempest
(whatever) proposed (and one built I believe). Had RR persisted with
the Vulture it may have been in service quicker than the Sabre. It
didn't afterall have those sleave valves.

All piston engines had enormous problems to solve relating to stress,
vibration and heat buildup; few if any went straight away including
such engines as the
R-2800. That's why I believe the Vulture could have been made to work
with a little more persistence.

The Germans actualy cancelled their Jumo 222 in 1942 and then realised
they would need it to get a decent bomber and fighter they restarted
the program in 1943. By 42 the problems had been identified and the
remedies also. It just didn't seem worth the effort when resources
were scarce.

In the case of the Vulture its redesige for more power growth and
reliability needed for the Manchester would most certainly have taken
longer than turning the overweight Manchester into the 4 engined
Lancaster.

The Vulture could have powered some very fast and powerfull
light/medium bombers or fighters for the RAF.