Old February 22nd 04, 12:22 PM
John Carrier

Should we be thinking of using the FB-22 Raptor as a replacement
for the F/A-18 (and the F-14)? I know that the current F-22 was
not designed to be heavy enough for naval use, but it could be
re-engineered. They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.
Why not upgrade it then?

Not as easy as it sounds, re-engineering usually involves rather extensive
redesign of the internal structures. The F-111 was designed multi-service
from the get-go and we all know what a raging success the B model was.

Do you really believe a fighter will carry 60,000 pounds of ordnance or is
that a typo?

R / John