Old July 22nd 04, 01:52 AM
john smith

john smith wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

I currently rent a 172P for all of my flying needs. The FBO that I
rent at is getting a 172R. My question is what is everyones openion
of the 172R as an instrument platform? I know it should fly about like
the 172P. I am wondering about the systems and any added safety
features.

As for how the airplanes fly, I think you will find the pitch and roll
to be more "crisp", that is, the slop or free play will be gone.
The panel layout is "logical", with the circuit breakers and switches
grouped separately and located on the lower left side of the panel.
The 13 fuel sumps (five on each wing, three on the belly) make for an
interesting preflight ritual. Get a GATTS jar and return all that sumped
fuel back to the tanks.

I forgot to mention that the fuel injected engine is better... and worse
when it comes to starting and landing.
Cold starts are easy with the boost pump, hot starts may be troublesome
until you learn where to set the throttle and mixture.
Lack of carb heat simplifies landing checklist. Fuel pump is not
required to be on for landing with the high wing.