Old January 10th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

Default Damaged/Cracked cylinder

In article .com,
"av8tr" wrote:

My partner and I just purchased a Piper Warrior from California. All
the compressions on the engine are 72 or better. We test flew for about
two hours and found no problems. Just recently she was taken in for the
Canadian inspection. The AME in Brampton told us that the compressions
were good but one cylinder was cracked. What I would like to know is
how can you have good compressions with a cracked cylinder.

It depends on where the crack is and how extensive it is.

One year an IA was "inspecting" my airplane and found two cracked
cylinders. Both cracks were very small. I had not noticed any performance
issues with the airplane prior to bringing the airplane in for the annual.

Also how
can you determine that a cylinder is cracked without dismantling the
engine.

visual inspection. Open the cowling and look at the cylinders.

Good luck.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the