Old September 4th 18, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Perlan Yawstring

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 3:04:38 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 1:21:47 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 1:38:42 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
Interesting how the lift pulses....

Steve

I wonder how good their TE compensation is.

Evan

Not seeing speed changes or attitude changes that could induce +/-5 knot vertical, but who knows. Low indicated but high true airspeeds could possibly induce larger vertical speed changes with minimal indicated speed changes. Can't imagine Jim would permit crappy TE compensation for this sort of mission.

Steve

I think it's likely more a matter of "take what you can get". New environment / new challenges. No one has ever done TE compensation at 200 kts TAS, no one has ever done sensitive variometry at 50K+.

Evan