Old September 1st 04, 09:33 AM
Presidente Alcazar

On 31 Aug 2004 08:48:04 -0700, (Eunometic)
wrote:

There was no problems in the sleeve valved Napier Sabre that hadn't
already been solved by Bristol in its succesfull sleave valve
radials. In fact the Napiers problems were solved with Bristols
help.

After intervention at the highest levels by the MAP to replace
top-level management at Bristols and totally overhaul the production
arrangements of the Sabre.

The Vulture was simply 'developed to death' to provide increasing
power for the over specification weight Manchester.

The Vulture was certainly not "developed to death" - it suffered
critically from introduction into service before the development
problems had been worked out, never mind those problems such as
coolant vulnerability which arose in operational service.

It took major political intervention to sort out the Sabre, in 1943
which was two years after it should have been a practicable service
engine. The Vulture would have sucked up a similar amount of early
production development at the expense of operational utility and
availability at a time when this could not be afforded. This is why
continuing Merlin development and production was regarded as
absolutely critical by British officialdom.

Gavin Bailey
--

But, first, want speed. Bart not greedy as all know. 250MHz enough.
I attempt use SGI chip in MB. But chip not fit, then I bend pins. Shove in MB hard.