Old March 12th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

On Mar 12, 9:41*am, Robert Moore wrote:
" *wrote

It's pretty clear that we're not supposed to go below the published MDA on
a non-precision approach, unless we can see enough to descend and land. The
MAP has nothing to do with it except that we can't continue the approach to
land after reaching the MAP.

Bob,

Bear with me on this. Are you suggesting or saying it's ok to go
below MDA BEFORE the MAP????

I was taught NEVER to descend below DH for the ILS or MDA before the
MAP for non precision approaches such as VOR alpha or LOC.

My point to Sam was that timing alone with wind consideration is not
enough to descend below MDA which again I was taught never descend
below BEFORE the MAP.

DME is the constant factor to finding MAP on this approach, not timing
since there are no intersecting radials to identify MAP.

Timing helps but since GS will vary based on wind conditions, timing
ALONE shouldn't be used to determine MAP.

This is what I was taught for what it's worth.