Old April 11th 04, 10:27 PM
Paul Hirose

Peter Stickney wrote:

Also, exactly where does the P-38 engine exhaust exit the
engine? Seems to be a big, upward facing pipe in the vicinity
of the turbocharger, but never really knew if that was turbo
intake or an exhaust of some sort.

Yep, that's the turbine exhaust.

Are you sure? I thought P-38 turbine wheels were visible on top of the
nacelle, exhaust gas simply shooting up between the blades into the
open air. Aft of the turbo was an exhaust pipe, but it was for gas
from the waste gate, not the turbine.

That's my understanding, anyway. Maybe it's wrong; I couldn't find
anything in my books to confirm or contradict it.

I think the P-38 was not the only airplane with the backside of its
turbocharger turbine "naked".

--

Paul Hirose
To reply by email delete INVALID from address.