Old July 8th 03, 02:51 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

EDR wrote:
Just got back from our annual jaunt to NW MA. Might write more
later (have I mentioned recently how much I abhore flying or
driving through the state of Ohio, no offense intended to anyone
living there)

Driving I can understand, but flying through and around Ohio is a
wonderful. With the exception of the southeast corner of the state, you
are almost always withing gliding distance of a landing field.
Where's your beef? (Pun intended, Wendy's is based in Columbus OH).

Our beef is that flying through OH in summer no matter what the
forecast is when we take off from MA or NY, we always seem to
wind up with the worst kind of convective activity to dodge
(convective activity with clouds in multiple layers). Ohio
seems to be like a cork in a bottle with Lake Erie to the N
holding the wx in place and the gulf to the s. pumping in
moisture whenever there's a high in the right place (often).
The forecast may be for benign IMC (no tstorms, no ice), one
gets into the clouds and .... uh-oh. Or, the forecast is for
reasonable VFR 2 hrs later .... uh-oh.

Or, as the FSS briefer said to me when I responded to his forecast
with "well, I'm concerned if we do *that* we'll run into *this*,
even though it's not forecast": "you've done this before, haven't
you?" He was also somewhat amused that I responded to his canned
"VFR not recommended" with "well, this isn't good IFR weather"

Ohio is one of the main reasons a stormscope is tops on our want
list.

Florida is the other.

Anyway, as far's I'm concerned Ohio is a giant flight-block lying
between the NE and the midwest. When we visited IAG several times
a year we flew home N of the lake half the time just to stay away.
Yesterday we flew from Ohio to St. Louis via Lexington KY. Gack.

Coshocton, OH is a really nice place, though.

Cheers,
Sydney