Old November 25th 04, 01:35 AM
Mike Spera

Overhauling cylinders is a crap shoot, even more than new ones. Think
about this, if even ONE goes bad, your economics are shot. The delta
between new and overhauled cylinders is not big enough.

I overhauled first run cylinders on my Cherokee 140. 750 hours later, I
have already pulled TWO and ANOTHER ONE is now going bad. This engine
was overhauled to new limits at a "big" shop (G&N). And, 0-320 engines
are not known for their high failure rate.

Never again.
Good Luck,
Mike

JB wrote:
(Jack McAdams) wrote in message . com...

A Lycoming factory reman will have a -R (dash R) suffix on the serial
number. The logbook entry of 2K to start seems to indicate it was a
factory O/H, not a reman. A reman gets a zero-time logbook to start.

Well there's my answer... no -R on the serial, it's a factory o/h
then. I'm still thinking about what to do with the jugs; I know the
prices of new ones have come down quite a bit, with jugs from ECI and
Superior going for around $900-1100 or so, but still... if these are
first run cylinders with 1660 hrs, and the engine was running great
when removed; there's probably lotsa life left in 'em after an
overhaul, and I'd get to save several hundred bucks per jug. It's not
that I'm a cheapskate, but I'm not rich either... it's nice to save a
few bucks.

Thanks for the responses!
John

The Worlds Uncensored News Source