Old May 12th 04, 06:27 PM
Roy Smith

In article , jsmith wrote:

Teacherjh wrote:

I always file "NO SIDS OR STARS" in the Remarks.

Don't they just give you the SID or STAR anyway, just spell it out for you?
They want to vector you far away, they vector you far away./

You do not have to accept the clearance.

It's true that you don't have to accept a clearance, but that doesn't
give you carte blanche to do whatever you want. You should decline a
clearance if you're unable to comply due to operational limitations
(can't climb that high, don't have enough fuel, don't have the required
navigational equipment, etc) or there's a safety issue (oxygen, ice,
over-water, etc). You can keep saying "unable" and the controller will
keep trying to come up with alternatives, but eventually you may be
called upon to defend your actions, and "because I didn't want to take a
detour" won't impress people very much as a defense.

Weather permitting, you could always cancel IFR and take whatever route
you want.