Old September 23rd 12, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 6:55:27 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Dear gliderpilots!

Manufacturers are not completely sure which is the way to go. So here you can vote for your favorite sustainer system:

http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com/voting.php

Thank you,

Luka

Can you give us some facts on the comparison - price, weight incl fuel, endurance in amount of climb available, rate of climb. Take typical 18m gliders, presumable LAK for the FES and Solo, JS1 for the jet.

Does the FES prop have any effect on performance? For how many gliders is it certified, because for many they choose the glider first, and take the system which is available with that glider?

And why not include self launch options? I fly an ASH 26E, and I like that when I need to start up over a field I am more confident that everything will work because I used it to take off today, I have an electric start, and when it starts (in 6 seasons so far always first time) I am able to climb away at 500 or 600 ft per min. This has a real safety benefit over a Solo sustainer - that I am always within prop out glide range of the field over which I started up.