Old November 29th 15, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default Winter Care

On Saturday, 28 November 2015 16:23:35 UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 2:23:50 PM UTC-8, Ron Gleason wrote:
For many or most of us, winter is here and the gliders are parked for a number of months. I have removed every battery from the cockpit, put mouse poison in the trailer and taken out anything that should not freeze (waxes, plexi-glass cleaners etc).

What is the best way store glider batteries, specifically LiPO4's? Just plug them in the charger? Does it matter if they are in the house or in a cold garage?

What the PDA's and PNA's? Again just keep them on the charger in the warm house?

Any other items folks do to bundle up their gliders?

Ron Gleason

I also put a dehumidifier in the trailer that has a pump and a hose to get the water outside so I don't have to dump the reservoir. Makes a big difference in humidity levels, which I track with a remote telemetry temp/humidity sensor. Lower humidity definitely reduces the rate of corrosion.

9B

Thanks Andy but here in UT the single digit humidity levels makes the dehumidifier unnecessary.