Old November 9th 16, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Self-launch v Sustainer

I keep it in my hangar with the wings folded (my doors only open to 42'
wide. I pull it out and then taxi, still folded, to the apron by the
launch area where I unfold and rig the wings.

I imported the ship from Mexico and got a checkout while taking my
instructor home to Payson, AZ from Laredo, TX, then I flew it home to
Moriarty. Two months later, my wife and I flew the Stemme to Minden for
a fun week of soaring. I used about 24 gallons of gas for 650 miles of
powered flight for about 27 mpg at a true airspeed of 140 kts. We flew
west at 16,500' and east at 17,500'. With the turbo, the climb was
quick and easy.

To my knowledge there's one S12 in the country and I think the owner
said it flies just like the S10.

On 11/8/2016 4:12 PM, GeneReinecke wrote:
On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 2:17:47 PM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
Retired now and looking to purchase a motorized glider; weighing the pros and cons of self-launchers v sustainers. Two-placer is a priority, as I would like to take my wife. Single place acceptable as long as I can keep her happy sightseeing. We plan on extensive travelling, some to both established and unestablished (i.e., w/o tugs avail) soaring areas (esp. ridge/mountain/wave). Is the weight penalty the chief difference? Engine reliability? Maintenance? Minimum 18m? Some of you may recommend getting some first-hand experience at a commercial operation; where would that be?

Any feedback appreciated, even if just to eliminate models to stay away from.
Mike

Watching the Stemme assembly video made me curious:
Are most Stemme owners simply hangaring their aircraft at their favorite soaring site and flying them to their second favorite? The complexity of the trailer, hoists and assembly tools would lead me to believe so.
BTW, does anybody have any feedback on flying differences between the S10 and S12?
Gene

--
Dan, 5J