Old September 17th 03, 05:00 AM
Corey C. Jordan

On 15 Sep 2003 09:07:14 -0700, (Michael) wrote:

They are describing the USN G-1 (I'm wearing one today), but the spec
for that jacket was changed from goat to cow back in '69 or '70. G-1s
are still made of goat for the public, but I thought all the jackets
produced for the Navy were cow. Maybe some are goat...

The USAF uses goat for their current A-2, and recently made changes to
the jacket pattern to make it easier to procure quality goatskin for
the jackets.

As for using US or foreign leather, who cares? The US shouldn't even
be producing either jacket. Both the A-2 and G-1 are useless in the
cockpit of modern AC. I don't buy the story that there is a shortage
of goatskin in the US though.

I was wearing my A2 last week when the temps dropped into the 50s
at night. I also have two Navy G-1s.

My old issue G-1 is battered and well worn (it's over 25 years old).
My wife bought me both a new G-1 and an A-2 three years ago. She
ordered them from a company called "Airborne Leathers". Quality
is as good as current issue (both cowhide as is the current issue G-1),
but the price is dirt cheap. I compared these two against American made
$700 name brand jackets and found the construction to be just as
robust, although the leather quality was a bit inferior. However, when
you compare prices, the Chinese made jackets are an unbeatable value.

For example, MIL spec G-1 is $119, pile lined, US NAVY punched on the
wind flap exactly like issue. A-2 in goatskin or cowhide, cotton lined is just
$99!!!

They look great, fit great and wear like iron. And they smell marvelous.
My A-2 is especially soft and supple.

Airborne Leathers turns around orders quickly, they ship in quality boxes
and you have 30 days to wear the jacket and should you not like it, just
send it back for a refund.

You can visit their website at:
http://www.airborne-leathers.com

My regards,