Old November 1st 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default CFIG Lawsuits?

Noel,
I have had a CFI for 30+ years. (The CFI-G for only a few.) I keep
it current, but do not actively instruct. This paranoia is nothing
new, and mostly a head game. When I got my CFI in the mid 1970s, an
instructor advised me to sign someone "ok to solo" in different
aircraft, rather than "checkout complete". Evidently someone augered
in doing crosswind landings and didn't have that maneuever
specifically signed off in logbook during the "checkout complete"
checkout.
Personally, I think its over the top. As someone mentioned, use the
PTS, and in the student's logbook endorse the maneuvers that you
completed. If you are doing following FARs you are not going to get
sued. Obviously, file a NASA report if you had an incident of some
sort(e.g. possible airspace violation).
Being a member of AOPA would be a good idea. I wish SSA teamed up
with AOPA-there is strength in numbers and general aviation needs the
boost.
Did you have fun with your DG this summer?

Dean