Old August 1st 03, 02:41 AM
Michael C Finke

Jon,

Would you mind posting the precise directions to the material on the FAA website that answered this question for
you? I'm in a 1950 Pacer, same story, and haven't been able to find the specific language that would make me
legal.

Thanks,
Mike

Grandpa B. (never.mind) wrote:
: Dang it! I deleted all the old messages from the newsgroup, and can't post a
: follow-up in the existing thread. Double-dang!

: Anyway, here's the answer to my own question about whether my Champ project
: needs to have anti-collision lighting installed.

: Short answer: No.

: Not-so-short answer: The official FAA Type certificate is currently owned by
: American Champion Aircraft, of Rochester, Wisconsin (I knew that). The
: certificate was issued according to Aircraft Specification A-759, which has
: all the old and current Champ-derived airframe types. Mine rolled off the
: Champion assembly line in April of 1958, which was after the requirement for
: lights, BUT, the type certificate was issued on March 27, 1957! That's good
: news, as the requirement for anti-collision lighting states that, prior to
: April 01, 1957, no anti-collision lighting is required. Under the wire by 3
: (or 4) days, depending on how you count.

: Now, does that mean it isn't a Good Idea to have strobes on an old aircraft?
: Of course not! My night-time flying will be rare, though, and if I don't
: gotta have 'em, I just might not install 'em.

: By the way, I learned all this from the official FAA website, which has
: everything you can possibly care about (and a lot you don't) on it.

: Jon B.