View Single Post
Old March 10th 18, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

Lukewarm wrote:

""The ClearNav have done a better job than most at modernization"

This statement literally made me blow coffee out my nose.

I have flown with XCSoar, LXNav, LXNavigation and ClearNav systems, each has advantages and disadvantages. The CN system is "simple" to use and the vario coupled with the square display is superb, probably the best I have flown with so far. To call it modern however, is a far stretch. The user interface is straight out of a 1980's video game console as are the CGA graphics. ClearNav is essentially Glide Navigator II - Colour with updated tasking support.

Luke Szczepaniak "

I admit to bias as a delighted LX 9000 user, but from screenshots I have seen online I agree that the graphics of CN would prevent me contemplating it.. As it happens, I enjoy setting up my own presentation using LX Styler so the flexibility of LX Nav software would make me choose their stuff over the others. I also have an Oudie IGC which I consider to be the gold standard of standalone devices, and have both set up to a model based on how I had Winpilot 20 years ago.

For someone who doesn't enjoy playing with these things, the most important advice is to choose the one your friends have, and study it on the ground.