Old November 3rd 16, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Self-launch v Sustainer

Objections here to Solo self launchers are overdone. I changed to an Arcus M after several years with a Wankel rotary ASH 26. I have also flown an ASH 31. It is true that the ASH 26 is quieter and has a characteristically smooth sounding engine, but the injected and electronically controlled Solo in the Arcus is also reasonably smooth and is perfectly suitable for straight and level flight for self retrieves at about 85 knots. In the Arcus you need noise attenuating headphones, but that is not a big problem.

The Arcus Solo is quoted at 68 HP, whereas the Wankel in the AS 30, 31, and 32 is rated at 57 HP.

AS use a manual prop braking and lowering system which always worked well for me. The Arcus system is fully automated but more error prone. I would choose the AS system.

For me, it has to be a self launcher not a sustainer, although I accept that with modern sustainer technologies it is safe to leave an engine start till lower. I like independence of launch facilities, being able to put myself in the bit of the sky I choose, being able to take a high launch without thinking about the cost (even if total ownership cost is higher), and if I need to start the engine over a field knowing that it was working when I took off, and will get me up to a safe height at a decent rate.