Old April 7th 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Why spend so much for tracking? If you keep your cell phone turned on,
the NSA knows exactly where you are. Just have your wife file a FOIA
(Freedom of Information Act) request to find out where you are. Note:
The latency may be more than you'd normally expect. :-P

On 4/7/2017 6:12 AM, wrote:
This is a topic which always kind of surprises me when I read or talk about it. Usually I think it is just me giving more importance to something most pilots think is nice but not critical. I have used or use every means to get tracked.

I have both IGC Droid and In-Reach running on a (2 minutes interval). It works so well now. For me is is very important that my wife feel engaged in my passion - she likes to know where I am, how high and the barograph . I work way too much have so little free time that if she didn't come to the airport I would only get to fly half as much as I do - to sit for hours without knowing where I am , how I am doing or be engaged in the flight, would just be way to boring.

Let's face it - Soaring for people who sit on the ground is not interesting/fun.

If we want to double participation in Soaring get your wife/girl friend/relative engaged - the fastest way to do that is to include non pilots or curious pilots to take a look and watch "what is possible"

Soaring is just more fun for me, when I can include my wife, kids and friends in the next crazy flight I am going to attempt. Just maybe rather than focusing in on the kid or pilots we think is out there to recruit - we need to make sure the kid who is our relative or the friend looking for an interesting thing to do, can watch us fly in real time.

Why keep this Beautiful endeavor to ourselves.

Just my newbie $.02

WH

--
Dan, 5J