Old August 22nd 04, 07:43 AM
Leadfoot

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
Didn't we all know what the outcome would be and just thanked God it
didn't seem likely to happen?

The CW from the mid-80s was that we would *eventually* win the sea
battles,
after the Soviets melted a few of our HVUs down to slag.

Maybe after they caught John Walker and provided they didn't have any other
spies with their paws in our commo.

From the SSN standpoint alone, a squadron
of six ASW helos (of which 1-2 were always being worked on in the hangar
deck) was not going to be enough to counter a Soviet SSN tour de force
against Mother. I think we both know how useless the VS assets always
seemed to be at real inner-zone ASW, but even if you throw in a bone for
them, we all pretty much agreed we wouldn't have a place to land if the
real **** happened.

My VS duty was with VS-31 on Ike - we re-made our squadron patch in 1981
reflect the fact that we had gone one entire year without submarine
contact.
It was one of the real reasons that I went into helicopters; the other
main
reason was that the VS AWs were just plain snobs - something I have never
heard
anyone say about us "knuckledragging SAR swimmer" AWHs. Its hard to be
full of
yourself when you are ****ing in your wetsuit to keep from freezing.

Of course, I'm sure you'll agree we knew us AW's
would make damn sure a lot of VMF (Voyenno Morskoj Flot) sailors went to
ocean floor in the process.

Like I said, it would have been glorious -- at least for a little while
)

Later, Mike.

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.