Old June 23rd 05, 02:46 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 06:12:37 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

BTDT, do a crapload of 50 & 100 hrs on PA31's (flying them around the
patch afterward to make sure everything works) and it's going to
happen every once in awhile.

Only ever had to shut one completely down, the rest were with the
problem child at idle (or just above). The one that got caged was
intercooler equipped, had to pull the turbo supply hose off to get the
oil filter off, and I had only started it back on the fitting.

By the time we saw the oil streaming the oil pressure indication was
jumping around so I feathered it.

Most common scenario was a chunk of crud in an injector nozzle after
r/r for cleaning-rather ironic when you think about it. Problem then
is depending on the state of the partially plugged nozzle you end up
down on TO power, with the potential of destroying the lean cylinder
by detonation.

Probably should mention never have had a twin rating/offeeshul twin
training, but always had somebody that did in the right seat.

TC

I've got a REALLY stupid question ...

By the time you are flying something in the Navaho category you've got a few
dozen hours behind the windshield...

and the Navaho has at least marginal single engine climb...

and the ******* wasn't on fire, just smoking...

and, in general, an engine smoking will stop smoking when you pull the fuel
flow to the engine...

why didn't he go around, single engine, drop the gear, and put it on the
runway?

Jim