Old August 7th 03, 03:05 PM
phil hunt

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 01:19:08 GMT, Paul Krenske wrote:

My preference would be to keep them running until we can actually get
hold of some numbers of some extreme range ACAV's. That will be around
2010-15. In old German parlance we need a 4000 kg over 4000 Km at 1000
Kmh airframe. Buy 30+ as bomb trucks and use manned aircraft for the
fighter/attack role. ( Not sure about JSF for that but we'll see. )

Since Australia currently operates the F/A-18, it makes sense to
buy more of them in the short term, if more are needed.

The F-111s could be mothballed, rather than scrapped.

For air superiority, in the medium term (2010 onwards) if Indonesia
is getting the Su-35 or derivatives, Australia probably wants
something better than the F/A-18. I'm not sure either about the JSF,
since its power/weight ratio is nothing to write home about.

I agree that unmanned vehicles for strike are the way to go. Perhaps
Australia could develop its own cruise missile -- if a guy can do so
for US$ 5000, I'm sure a medium-size[1] country can.

[1] economically speaking.

--
A: top posting

Q: what's the most annoying thing about Usenet?