Old September 23rd 03, 01:48 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Mark Jackson" wrote in
:

Our airport (KAXH Houston-Southwest) had a LOC-DME
approach. According to the airport management, the Feds
came in a shut it down because the equipment was so old
that they couldn't test it anymore. New equipment was
ordered and installed, etc. etc. We are now waiting for
the FAA to flight test the approach. It has been a month
and the airport people keep saying "sometime soon."

How long does the flight test process take? Is there any
way to check the status with the FSDO or the like? It has
been almost six months that we haven't had a non-GPS
approach. What experiences have others had with the FAA?

We've been waiting for a check for a new GPS approach in
Galveston for a long time, too. Coming in from offshore, we
have to fly way north to come back in on an approach, taking
much longer than necessary.

The good news may be that there's an FAA flight-check aircraft
on the ramp now, staying overnight. Maybe they'll get something
done down here, maybe get AXH too.

--
Regards,

Stan