Old February 14th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

Default Realistic Instrument Training using MSFS 2004

wrote in message oups.com...
Hi All,

I'm a longtime lurker here, but now I have a question I hope the group
can help me with. I am working toward my instrument rating (21 hours
so far), and want to use MSFS to practice (cheaply). I do fine with
holding a heading, but I find it very difficult to maintain an
altitude. The real plane is much much easier. I also noticed that
even when the scenery flies by smoothly (when I'm in VMC!) the
instruments seem to update at a slower rate. Not quite a slide show,
but harder than it should be to control. I've tried fiddling with
the realism and sensitivity settings to no avail. I have noticed a
number of folks posting on this group use this simulator to maintain
proficiency, and I was just wondering how you have it set up.

FYI...I'm using the CH products USB Flight Sim yolk, and the CH USB
rudder pedals. The computer seems plenty fast enough with a 256MB
graphics card. Like I mentioned before, everything is very smooth
except for the instruments refreshing.

Thanks everyone!

Steve

Perhaps you're focusing on the wrong factors there, Steve.
Any training value of hobby-type simulators lies in practicing procedures,
and not in merely learning to control that simulated airplane.
Procedures-training is much more than just a video game.
Concentrate more on the procedures, less on the simulator.
As others said here, you'll have to accept imperfect simulation.

That said, though, it's smart to keep the simulated speeds and times
generally similar to those of the airplane you fly in real life.
You want those procedures to become comfortable habit patterns,
so they don't demand your undue attention as other things turn to worms.
After 21 IFR hours, I'm sure you know by now what that means. :-)