Old July 30th 16, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Low cost ADS-B Options

Good information but I don't see much need for concern for me for the
following reasons:

Entering a thermal, I should already have a pretty good idea of local
traffic from previous glances at the display. It's not likely that
someone will penetrate my airspace during the minute or three that I'm
climbing but I do recognize the possibility and will continue to keep my
head on a swivel.

The GPS antenna will likely be mounted at the top of the instrument
panel (below the instrument cowl as the other two GPS antennae are
located). There's no engine pylon in a Stemme. ;-)

The Stratux will have its two antennae mounted on opposite sides of the
instrument cowl towards the forward edge of the canopy. There are no
obstructions above, but we'll see how that works out receiving signals
from ground stations due to the carbon fuselage.

There will always be concerns about non-ADSB-out equipped aircraft but
those numbers should dwindle as time marches on, especially in the high
western deserts.

I'm pretty excited about this.

On 7/30/2016 12:07 PM, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
A word of caution. I equipped my new ASH-31 Mi with ADS-B out. I spent a lot of money to find a combination of a transponder, position source and antenna that would work in a glider. I can tell you that $3500 position source with recommended antenna would not keep the GPS lock during circling with bank angel more or equal to 40 deg. For a motor-glider there is added problem with a pylon shading the antenna, during engine run. Finding a good place for an antenna is almost impossible.

I succeeded but with lots of frustration and only because my glider is experimental.

--
Dan, 5J