Old May 12th 05, 01:10 AM
Red Rider

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
Red Rider wrote:

From the dim recesses of my mind I recall that there was one F-8 that

took
off from San Clemente, one evening (night carrier quals about '62?????)

with
the winds folded, He managed to turn around and landed safely, and then

went
on out to the ship. Don't remember where he changed his flight suit.

Can't
recall the name either but I seem to remember that he was well known, at
least later as Sq CO, or maybe CAG.

The F-8 wing folded wing incident in Italy was that Sigonella? or

Naples?
Maybe off a carrier in/near Naples Bay? I remember the incident but for

some
reason I connect it with Naples.

I have also heard of other folded wing Crusader incidents. I can't

recall
the details of them but they included stories of two French F-8N's. I

think
that they all flew. As far as wing incidence, left up/down or stuck,

that
barely merited a mention.

Barrett Tilman mentions seven Crusader wings-folded takeoffs (out of 12,

the
first involving an AD out of NAS Charlestown, RI in 1949, pilot jumped)

in"Mig
Master", occurring between 1960 and 1969, and all made successful

landings. All
but one were at night, and usually involved a hot refueling. The daytime
incident involved a VF-11 a/c flown by Lt. Jack Barnes out of Capodichino
airport near Naples, on 2 August 1960. He was doing 175 knots on final.

Others
we

31 March 1964, Lt. Cdr. Thomas Hudner (MoH in Korea flying the F4U), San
Clemente, Ca. Hudner pushed negative G and got first one and then the

other tip
to drop into place and lock, then lowered the wing and landed.

August 1966, marine major of VMF(AW)-235, Danang, folded his wings to

clear
another a/c while taxiing, then took off loaded with 1,000 lb. of bombs

and six
Zunis. Dumped his ordnance, dropped his hook, made a fast approach and

caught
the arrester gear. It was really not his night, because he'd neglected to

lower
his landing gear.

About 10 months later, another marine, same outfit and location, took off

with 2
tons of bombs and six Zunis, which were disposed of and recovery made at

160+
knots on final.

1966 and 1967, Miramar, VF-191 and VF-53. No other info.

January 1969, location unstated, pilot had just rotated when controller

informed
him of situation, he chopped the power, dropped the hook and arrested.

The French could have had others, but the book was published in 1980 so

they may
have occurred later.

Guy

Guy, thanks for doing the research. At leaast I was about ½ right on the San
Clemente and Naples incidents. Proves I am not completely senile, YET!
grin

Red