Old January 15th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.ifr

Default Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

Since there is no requirement to use the radio at class E fields,
though, then there's really nothing to be said if an IFR pilot just
doesn't want to be bothered.

Hmmm... by that logic then why does it matter if they make any
radio calls at all? The whole point is to say give the most amount
of information in the fewest words. That's best for everybody, but
it does require a small amount of training.

It's not logic, it's simply not required by the FARs for class E.

However annoying to the IFR pilot it might be.

Sorry we bothered you.

I wasn't bothered, and I don't think you're sorry.

When I get IFR certified I'll make sure and also give my position
reports during VFR conditions in language I think VFR pilots will
understand -- mainly because I value my own life and want to make
every reasonable effort to preserve it. Speaking ONLY a language
others may not comprehend won't help me out in that regard.