Old April 7th 05, 06:40 PM
Jonathan Sorger

Hi Casey,

Thanks - I noticed the IYK corridor. Great to get local advice. I know
that as civilian aircraft we are 'allowed' but having F-16s and cruise
missiles in the area rightly makes one nervous. I'll be flying on a
weekday...

I'll let you know if we decide to drop in at IYK.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

For starters, take a look at the north side of the Los Angeles
sectional. Just to the left of R-2505 and well inside the military
complex R-2508 and deeply imbedded in the MOA's is Inyokern airport,
IYK. That's my home patch. I just thought I'd start out with that
so you'd get an idea I "might" know what I'm talking about.
People make TOO BIG a fuss over the MOAs, and restricted areas. I've
learned to live in them.
I started flying from IYK in 1973. During the intervening 32 years
we have not had a single fatal encounter, in fact I don't even
remember any close calls between military aircraft and general
aviation. That in spite of the periodic cruise missile flights that
boogey through the valley int the vicinity of Rosamond, Mojave, and
IYK at 500 ft AGL to drop their payloads at China Lake. Only twice in
that time have I had an advisory from Joshua Approach of military
aircraft in the vicinity and they were 20+ miles away, albeit below
my cruising altitude. The huge majority of military flights are above
30,000 feet in the military complex My route from IYK to the San
Joaquin Valley is either over Tehachapi in the 150 or Lake Isabella
in the 172. If you plan on flying over on a weekend, flex-Friday, or
holiday, Joshua will clear you "at or above 5,000 feet MSL" unless
there is the rare weekend exercise happening. Those occur about twice
a year. During the week, you may have to weave through the "Trona
Corridor" after crossing R-2506 at or above 6,000 feet. On the other
hand, your chances of getting Joshua to clear you direct through R-
2504 are not all that bad. But you gotta ask!! Don't be shy. I'm
not complacent about flying through the MOAs. I know what they are
for. I used to work at China Lake. But I'm also familiar enough with
the process that I'd rather fly through an MOA any day over flying
across the LA Basin. Gas at IYK is cheaper than Stovepipe or
Furnace Creek by the way. If you decide to drop in there, let me know.
I'll meet you at the airport.