Old January 4th 16, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

Default LifePO4 batteries for motorgliders - are we there yet?

Its time again to change batteries in my motorglider. There are 4 lead batteries with modified (vibration proof) terminals. A major pita.
I have been enviously following the threads for improved batteries for pure gliders. Lighter, more performance, holding their charge, longer life cycle yada yada...
I have more avionics than ever and want more capacity for improved safety but have no room to spare. I would also like to shed some of the weight and get better life. I am ready.
The question is however, how LIFEPO4 batteries will do with a mixed high amp crank demand of a self starter and deep cycle mode during long flights with enough umph to start at the end of the day when needed.
Does anybody have experience or words of (scientific - not regulatory) wisdom?