Old August 8th 05, 05:06 PM
Peter R.

Default Two nearby ASOS broadcasts on the same frequency: Why no squeal?

For some reason known only to the FAA, both Dunkirk, NY (KDKK), and
Wellsville, NY (KELZ), two small, uncontrolled airports in southwestern NY
state that are about 60 nm apart, share the same ASOS frequency.

For pilots flying to Dunkirk from the east, retrieving the current ASOS
broadcast is not possible until about 25nm east of the airport, due to the
more powerful KELZ broadcast. This is not so much a problem when
conditions are VFR, but when they are IFR I prefer to retrieve the ASOS as
early as possible in order to choose and prepare for a particular
instrument approach.

In any case, I am curious how it is possible for two transmissions to be
heard over an aviation frequency without the squeal (I forgot the
appropriate technical term for this).

--
Peter