Old November 7th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

Default hangar doors

The Bi-fold also has no tracks to fill and freeze in the winter, and it makes a good canopy when it is raining...

"Jim Burns" wrote in message ...
: The main advantage of a bi-fold door is that the header of the door and the
: vertical steal beams on each side of the door opening support the door when
: it is raised, this makes abnormally wide doors without tracks or track
: extensions possible. I think the motor, gearbox, cables, steal header and
: beams would make it rather cost prohibitive when compared to a traditional
: overhead type garage door which, due to it's light weight can be suspended
: from the underside of roof trusses when raised.
: Jim
:
: "Tater" wrote in message
: oups.com...
: just from a non-pilots angle, whats the reason for the hangar doors to
: be the way they are? I mean the 2 part folding types. Is there some
: advantage to them? why dont we make car garages the same way?
:
:
: