Old November 7th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

Default hangar doors

In article ,
".Blueskies." wrote:

The Bi-fold also has no tracks to fill and freeze in the winter, and it makes
a good canopy when it is raining...

You do, however, have to inspect the cables regularly to make sure that
they are not fraying. Racing driver Mark Martin almost lost his Citation
when the cables broke just after he had wheeled the jet into his hangar.

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
: The main advantage of a bi-fold door is that the header of the door and the
: vertical steal beams on each side of the door opening support the door when
: it is raised, this makes abnormally wide doors without tracks or track
: extensions possible. I think the motor, gearbox, cables, steal header and
: beams would make it rather cost prohibitive when compared to a traditional
: overhead type garage door which, due to it's light weight can be suspended
: from the underside of roof trusses when raised.
: Jim
:
: "Tater" wrote in message
: oups.com...
: just from a non-pilots angle, whats the reason for the hangar doors to
: be the way they are? I mean the 2 part folding types. Is there some
: advantage to them? why dont we make car garages the same way?
:
:
: